Looking to sell your home? Here are 8 easy ways to make your buyers fall in love!
- Disassociate and De-Personalize — Providing the buyer with an opportunity to envision themselves in the home is crucial. This can be achieved by removing all personal photos and limiting the use of décor that has phrases.
- De-Clutter — Have you ever been in a model home? Make your home a model home by clearing off kitchen and bathroom counters. Make sure shoes are neatly placed on a shoe rack or hidden in the garage. Don’t leave anything on the entry way and hide cords. The best way to de-clutter is to actually start packing.
- Rearrange and Organize — Buyers have a tendency to open cabinets and closets. A few organizing tips: hang clothes together, buttoned, and in the same direction; neatly stack dishes; and have items in your cabinets and refrigerator facing forward. Avoid placing furniture at an angle as it makes the room seem smaller.
- Move Your Favorite Items — If you love a chandelier and want to take it with you, remove it before showing the property. If a buyer doesn’t see it, they can’t fall in love with it.
- Minor Repairs — Minor repairs can truly aid the salability of a home. Patch holes, fix leaky faucets, adjust doors that don’t close properly, and re-caulk showers, tubs, and sinks. Replace burnt out lightbulbs and make sure the walls are a neutral color. If a room is small, hanging curtains a foot higher than the top of the window will create the illusion of a larger room.
- Cleanliness — You want to make sure the house is clean. Clean grout lines, remove cobwebs, clean out the refrigerator, and dust ceiling fans and light fixtures. Hang fresh towels, vacuum regularly, polish chrome faucets, wash the windows, and most importantly, clean and air out any odors.
- Curb Appeal — A buyer’s first impression is the outside of your home. Make it beautiful! Keep sidewalks cleared, remove shoes and kids’ toys, mow the lawn, and paint any faded window trim or peeling paint on the deck. Make sure the outside lights are working and remove oil stains from the driveway (Coke is a great way to do this). Planting yellow flowers will evoke emotion.
- Ambiance — You want the buyer to walk into your home and not want to leave. A few suggestions that have great effects: turn the TV to smooth jazz, bake cookies before an open house, or use a diffuser to provide a tranquil scent.